CNIT 131 Bowne HW HW 10
Viruses and Spyware, or Reviewing Programs
25 Points Maximum
There are two ways to complete this homework assignment -- one intended for
PC users, and the other for Macintosh users.
- If you use a PC, scan it for viruses and submit a printout or screen image
showing the results of a completed scan, and then also scan it for spyware
and and submit a second printout or screen image
showing the results of a completed scan. Instructions are attached for scanning
your machine with the Trend online scanner, and
Spybot, but if you want to
use another virus scanner and/or another spyware scanner, feel free. Your
final result should be two printouts, or two screen images sent to me by email.
- If you use a Macintosh, you may not be interested in viruses or spyware.
In that case, choose a topic that interests you, like Media players,
graphics software, Web browsers, or any other type of software for which
several alternative programs ara available. Then research them on the Web
and write a report on your findings. Your report must have these required elements:
- A description of the purpose of the software you are researching.
- At least three different software packages, from different companies, that
do the purpose you are researching. Each package must be named, and you must
describe its essential features.
- You must download at least one of the packages and try it out yourself,
and explain what you found. For that reason, choose a fairly common topic
so that there is a freeware package available, or at least a trial version
you can get.
Last modified 10-28-04