8: Firewalls for CCDC
What You Need for This Project
Any computer with a Web browser
Task 1: Select Team Roles
Work in pairs, helping one another as needed.
Task 2: Connect to NETLAB
In a Web browser, open this URL:
Log in with the credentials from your instructor.
Reserve some lab time and open the NETLAB environment,
which is diagrammed below:
All the devices have a root or Administrator account available
with the password StealTheM00n!
Task 3: Audit and Secure the Server
Perform these tasks:
- Find the listening ports on the server (e. g. with netstat -an)
- Install Nmap on another computer in the network and scan the server to make sure those ports are responding
- Configure a firewall to block all unused incoming ports, and all outgoing connections
- Scan the server from the outside again to verify that all ports are OPEN or FILTERED, none CLOSED
- Try surfing the Web from the server and verify that it is now impossible
- Write up a simple, clear, single page of instructions showing how to do this task
Task 4: Report Findings
Write up a brief report describing what you did, and present it at the end of class.
Use class feedback to improve your page of instructions and email it to your instructors.